Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
We will continue to provide updated information, brewery best practices, and additional resources in regards to COVID-19 and the potential impact for Pittsburgh’s craft beer industry.
Information on COVID-19 is available from national and international organizations, such as the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the World Health Organization (WHO), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), and/or your local health authority.
Brewery Common Areas of Focus
- Safety for employees and customers
- Stability of company finances
Brewery Best Practices
- Increased cleaning of high touch surfaces
- Wear a mask per PA Governor Wolf’s instruction
- Maintain social distancing of 6ft to reduce person-to-person contact
- Touch-less service (pick-up and delivery) ensures safe and convenient interactions with
- Stay up to date with the latest advice from the CDC and FDA.
How breweries can implement social distancing
While breweries can continue production, distribution and to-go sales, implementing changes to keep
employees and customers safe is necessary. This includes:
- Encourage customers to call in advance or use online ordering to place orders.
- Adopt a card only, no cash policy.
- Designate well-marked pick-up zones for customers. When customers arrive to pick up
beer, use signage at key checkpoints, reminding customers to stand 6 foot apart. Place
markers on the floor in waiting areas.
- Encourage customers to wait in vehicles whenever possible. When an order is ready, call
them in or deliver beer to their car.
- Adopt a no mask, no entry policy if customers are still entering your taproom for pick up.
- Check IDs from a distance by asking customers to hold it up for you to check.
The CDC recommends no more than 10 minutes of close contact. Find a detailed description of COVID-19
best practices for workplaces from the FDA here.
Brewing Industry Resources
Brewers Association COVID-19 Resource Page – The Brewers Association is providing all COVID-19 resources for free to all breweries.
- Craft Brewers Conference Online – Free to all craft brewing industry professionals until May 31. Tune in every day between April 13 and May 15 for live morning and afternoon sessions. All seminars are free, and recordings will be available through May 31.
- COVID-19 Safety Tips for To-Go Practices – social distancing practices, standard operating procedures, sanitizing practices
- Checklist for Reopening Your Brewery – a checklist for breweries who are preparing to open their business as states and cities begin to reopen amid the pandemic. This guidance includes best practices for maintaining sanitary practices and social distancing in light of COVID-19.
All Together Collaboration – All Together is a worldwide, open-ended beer collaboration created to raise support for the industry we love so much. It’s an effort to raise awareness and provide relief, even in the smallest way, to those who are struggling. Other Half Brewing Co. is inviting any brewer, from any corner of the planet to participate. The recipe is open source, the artwork is public, and the name is yours to use. The goal is to provide you with the tools to make the beer at the lowest possible cost. Portion of the proceeds are asked to go to supporting hospitality professionals in your community.
PA Coronavirus Links
- PA Department of Health
- PA Liquor Control Board
- PA Governor’s Guide to Responding to COVID-19
- PA Chamber of Business and Industry
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
World Health Organization (WHO)
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
Pittsburgh Brewers Guild Contacts
Feel free to contact any one of the PBG board members and let us know how we can help you. We are all in this together!
- Chairman – Brian Eaton, Grist House Brewing
- Vice Chairman – Matt McMahon, Eleventh Hour Brewing
- Treasurer – Tom Schneider, Grist House Brewing
- Secretary – Josh Lipke, Leaning Cask Brewing
- Member-at- Large – Al Grasso, Allegheny City Brewing
- Member-at-Large – Matt Katase, Brew Gentlemen
- Member-at-Large – Andrew Witchey, Dancing Gnome
- Member-at-Large (Three Rivers Beer Week) – Andy Kwiatkowski, Hitchiker Brewing
- Member-at-Large (Communications & Outreach) – Jen Walzer, Inner Groove Brewing
- Executive Director – Mike Tysarczyk, Dancing Gnome
Disclaimer: The information provided herein does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials provided are for general informational purposes only and suggested guidance based on the best available information at the time.